Questions for Defense Attorneys

At Taylor Law Company, we understand once you are accused of a crime, you will have many questions about your rights, potential outcomes, and the process involved with your case. Not knowing where to turn for accurate answers can be overwhelming. You do not have to wonder about these questions any longer because the dedicated lawyers at Taylor Law Company want to help you every step of the way. We have answered frequently asked questions with informative, detailed responses to provide some clarity to our potential clients. Whether you are facing weapon charges in Fairfax or drug possession charges in Fairfax, VA, Taylor Law Company is here to help you and your family.

If you still have unanswered questions or would like additional information about a particular legal topic, you can schedule a free, no-obligation consultation with one of our experienced attorneys. Give us a call at (703) 385-5529 to speak with a domestic violence attorney in Fairfax, VA, today. 

  • Page 4
  • My license was suspended in VA. I need to know if I am okay to drive outside of Virginia.

    If you have a Virginia driver's license and it gets suspended in Virginia, you are not allowed to drive anywhere until that suspension has been lifted and you have been reinstated by the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles.  The only exception would be if you have a restricted license.

  • If I have an out of state license and my privilege to drive in Virginia is suspended, can I still drive in other states?

    The answer to this question is that it depends.  Virginia has no authority to take your out of state license.  All Virginia can do is suspend your privilege to drive in Virginia and then transmit the information to the state where you are licensed.  You are free to drive everywhere but Virginia unless or until your home state takes action with your license.

  • Is there ever a time I would need to use a bondsman?

    When you get charged with an offense you will either go before a Magistrate or Judge who will consider bond for you.  If you are given a Personal Recognizance bond then you do not have to pay any money to be released.  You will only owe money to the Commonwealth of Virginia if you fail to appear in court.  If you are given a secured bond it means you need to pay to be released and you can do this in one of two ways.  You can either pay the amount in full and then get the full amount back at the end of your case or you can get a bondsman.  You would pay a bondsman a percentage (typically up to 10%) and then the bondsman will post the full amount for you to be released.  You will not get a refund on the percentage paid to the bondsman.

  • What is the difference between a misdemeanor or felony charge?

    Virginia has misdemeanor and felony offenses.  There are different classes of each and they carry various penalties depending on which class misdemeanor or felony the charge you have carries.  Misdemeanors are less serious than felony charges and carry a maximum of 1 year in jail.

  • My license was suspended in VA. Can I drive outside of Virginia?

    If you have a Virginia driver's license and it gets suspended in Virginia, you are not allowed to drive anywhere until that suspension has been lifted and you have been reinstated by the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles.  The only exception would be if you have a restricted license.

  • Do I need a lawyer for my reckless Driving case?

    It depends.  Some jurisdictions do not allow you to speak with a Commonwealth Attorney before appearing in front of the Judge so i would usually recommend having an attorney.  Other jurisdictions provide a chance for you to speak with a Commonwealth Attorney to try and resolve your case so you may not need an attorney in those places.  We do a free consult so give us a call and we can help you decide.

  • Can a lawyer appear for me in my court?

    Maybe.  In some jurisdictions of you have an attorney your appearance at the arraignment can be waived.  For your trial date you can only have an attorney appear for you if the attorney has filed a motion with the Judge and gotten permission for you to be excused from court.  You will also have to sign a form authorizing the attorney to appear for you in court.  Some jurisdictions allow an attorney to appear for you on some charges like Reckless Driving so call us and we can advise you about the county where you are facing a charge.

  • Can I just prepay this Reckless Driving ticket?

    Unfortunately Virginia does not allow you to prepay a Reckless Driving ticket like you would a speeding ticket.  When you sign that yellow summons, you are agreeing that you will appear in court on the date specified.  If you fail to appear the Judge can issue a warrant for your arrest which will be outstanding until you turn yourself in on the warrant.  Some Judges will convict you in your absence if they think that is more appropriate than issuing a warrant but that is completely in the discretion of the Judge.

  • My child got charged with a juvenile petition. Does she really need a lawyer?

    Juvenile offenses can be just as serious and detrimental to someone as adult charges.  A juvenile has their whole life ahead of them and a finding of delinquency could indeed impact your child down the road.  There are a lot more options available to an attorney in juvenile court than adult court when it comes to getting the best outcome for your child.  Contact Taylor Law Company today and we can sit down and speak with your child about what happened and make sure you are all informed about the juvenile court process.   Call (703) 385-5529 so we can set up the free consultation.

  • How much am I going to have to spend on a lawyer?

    Every attorney charges different fees.  We charge a flat rate based on the charge, jurisdiction, and facts of your case.  This way you always know what you have to pay and you know there will be no additional hidden bills, etc.  We accept all forms of payment: cash, check, credit/debit cards, and money orders.