Is there ever a time I would need to use a bondsman?

When you get charged with an offense you will either go before a Magistrate or Judge who will consider bond for you.  If you are given a Personal Recognizance bond then you do not have to pay any money to be released.  You will only owe money to the Commonwealth of Virginia if you fail to appear in court.  If you are given a secured bond it means you need to pay to be released and you can do this in one of two ways.  You can either pay the amount in full and then get the full amount back at the end of your case or you can get a bondsman.  You would pay a bondsman a percentage (typically up to 10%) and then the bondsman will post the full amount for you to be released.  You will not get a refund on the percentage paid to the bondsman.

Gretchen L. Taylor
Connect with me