Ask Your Questions: Fairfax Criminal Defense Attorneys Answer

The Taylor Law Company understands that if you are accused of a crime in Fairfax, you have all sorts of questions about your rights, about what you are up against, about what your future may look like. Take a look at our frequently asked questions, complete with informative answers, and see if they help; if they don’t, feel free to request a free, no-obligation consultation with one of our capable DUI/criminal defense lawyers.

  • Page 1
  • What will happen to my child’s education if he or she is convicted and sentenced for a juvenile crime in Virginia?

    While your school age child is in the custody of the Department of Juvenile Justice (DJJ), your child should receive general education services and special education services, if appropriate.

    Once your child is released from the DJJ, your child’s public school system must re-enroll your child within two school days of his or her release, assuming that your child has not been expelled. Virginia law requires DJJ staff and local school staff to work together to ensure your child’s smooth re-enrollment in the public school.

    A re-enrollment plan must be developed if your child has been confined by the DJJ for 30 or more days and is eligible to return to a public school. A preliminary re-enrollment plan will be developed by staff at your child’s correctional facility. The preliminary plan should include information about your child’s academic progress and suggest support services that might benefit your child, if appropriate.

    After the preliminary plan is developed, then school personnel, your child’s parole officer, you, and your child should be involved in developing the final re-enrollment plan.

    Your child’s Fairfax juvenile criminal defense lawyer can help you understand your child’s rights and fight for your child’s education. For more information, we encourage you to contact the experienced Fairfax juvenile criminal defense attorneys at Taylor Law Company at (703) 385-5529; you should also review the information about returning to school after a DDJ confinement provided by the Virginia Department of Education.

  • My son has just been found guilty of a crime in Northern Virginia, and I’m afraid he’ll be taken away from me. Is this likely to occur?

    Depending on the crime of which your son is convicted, he may be put into detention or a shelter. Northern Virginia juvenile courts can put a juvenile into custody under any of the following circumstances:

    • A judge, a clerk at the judge’s direction, or an intake officer issues a detention order stating that the child must be taken into custody.
    • The child is deemed a CHINS (child in need of services), the child’s life or health is in danger, and removal from the family is necessary.
    • The child has committed a crime witnessed by a police officer or that would be considered a felony (a crime that is punishable by incarceration for more than 12 months) if it were committed by an adult.
    • The child is guilty of a misdemeanor involving shoplifting, assault and battery, or possession of a weapon on school property.
    • The child fled from legal custody or from a court-ordered residential home, facility, or placement by a child welfare agency.
    • The child is deemed in need of treatment in a mental health facility.

    When your child has been charged with a juvenile criminal offense in Northern Virginia, you need an attorney who will do whatever it takes to keep your child where he or she belongs: with you. The Fairfax juvenile criminal defense lawyers at Taylor Law Company will fight to get charges dropped or reduced. Give us a call at 703-385-5529, and we’ll set you up with a FREE, immediate, no-obligation consultation.

  • My child got charged with a juvenile petition. Does she really need a lawyer?

    Juvenile offenses can be just as serious and detrimental to someone as adult charges.  A juvenile has their whole life ahead of them and a finding of delinquency could indeed impact your child down the road.  There are a lot more options available to an attorney in juvenile court than adult court when it comes to getting the best outcome for your child.  Contact Taylor Law Company today and we can sit down and speak with your child about what happened and make sure you are all informed about the juvenile court process.   Call (703) 385-5529 so we can set up the free consultation.